Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Draws to an End

I will probably get flack for this post.  I usually try to keep things very positive.  Can I tell you how many people over the last two years have told me how inspiring I am?  If I had a dollar for every time someone has said that, I could pay my January mortgage with the proceeds.  There are times, like now, where I wish I could inspire myself.

The reality is that this has been a dog crap year.

OK, let me focus on the positive.  AnnaSophia is healthy and showing no signs of rejection.  Ethan and Emily are doing well in school.  Ethan even made the honor roll.  This is Emily's first full year in school after being home schooled, and she is doing really well too.  I have been able to keep some stability in the children's lives by being able to stay in our family home for now.  My dog loves me.  I am surrounded by wonderful family and friends who have been very supportive this year.  I have seen our Mended Little Hearts of Colorado Springs group take off and become an important presence in our community.  I have been able to volunteer with the American Heart Association and help make the Heart Heroes Gallery possible.

Then, there is the weight of the world that I carry on my shoulders daily. 

I'm going through a D-I-V-O-R-C-E. 

Can I be frank here?  Divorce sucks.  It rocks your world.  I have felt like I have had the rug pulled out from underneath of me, and I'm free falling through life.  It hurts people emotionally, physically and financially.  Most of all it hurts children.  It's one thing for people without children to deal with all of the garbage associated with the death of a marriage.  It's devastating to see the effects of it on my children.  When they hurt, I hurt.  I carry that hurt every waking and sleeping moment. 

I don't sleep--at least not much.  I don't eat--well sometimes.

Rabbit Trail:  My friends love talking to me about food.  I LOVE FOOD!  Good food is one of the great joys of life.  Friends and I would talk about recipes we've tried and ones we want to try.  Ethnic, gourmet or rocking kid food--it's all good.  I was told today that I don't talk about food anymore.  I'm disappointing my friends.  How sad is that???  Oh appetite, where have you gone???  The reality is, the more stressed I am, the more I don't have an appetite.  I have nicknamed myself the "incredible shrinking woman".  I just had to take in the waist of my size 4 jeans.  I'm not proud of this people.  It's sick.

I'm not always a stressed out mess of a person.  I have learned to fake it for my kids sake, and the most amazing thing happens.  I find real joy in some of those moments I started out pretending with.  Hugs are freely given in my home.  Silliness abounds.  The day after Christmas I spent with the children making friendship bracelets with Emily, playing Polly Pockets with AnnaSophia and having a killer Nerf dart gun vs. marshmallow shooter battle with Ethan.

It's the quiet moments that are the worst.  I don't mind being alone, but I don't like feeling lonely.  It's times like 3am when I wake up and can't get back to sleep that are hard.  I've found crying in the shower is good and cleansing--and I don't have to worry about messing up my makeup.  See, there is a silver lining.  What's so hard?  It's the reality that I'm walking the path of raising my children alone that is scary and sad.  I worry about how in the world am I going to parent three children if AnnaSophia rejects, and we have to live in Denver for 6 months.  Will I be able to pay my bills?  Will I find a good paying job?  Will I lose my job when AnnaSophia gets sick?  Will I ever be able to take my kids on vacation?  What if AnnaSophia dies??? 

I know I shouldn't let my mind go to these places.  It's really the by-product of loneliness.  It's the by-product of realizing that I carry the life and death of my child all on my shoulders--alone.  I've actually had someone tell me that a man would be crazy to take on me and my children.  Wow!!!  That hurt.  It didn't hurt for me, but for my children.  My kids are NOT a liability, but this just goes to show you how the rest of the world perceives my life.  Wow, three kids, two with special needs...heavy.  That's a lot.  It's not normal.  Frankly, it would take a very special man who would want to stick around to be a part of that life.  So, I guard my heart and my children with concrete walls, 25 feet thick.

Expectation:  To look forward to something with great anticipation.

Most people look forward to celebrating New Years Eve and ringing in the New Year.  Folks tend to look back on the previous year with 20/20 hindsight and look forward to the New Year with great anticipation and expectation that the New Year will treat them well.  Maybe Eeyore new something the rest of us didn't.  If you don't have great expectations, then you can't be disappointed...right?  I know I sound a little bah humbug, especially for a "glass half full" kind of girl.  I'm just in a funk.  I'm waiting for things to get better.  The process of divorce is like slow, painful torture designed to make all parties miserable. 

Maybe I shouldn't wait for things to get better, but take an active roll in pursuing "betterness" and happiness.  As a matter of fact, that sounds like a good plan for 2011.  The upside of divorce:  I don't have to live in a bad marriage.  The divorce will be final the beginning of 2011.  Woo hoo for me...I think.  I guess I'm still trying to figure out how to embrace this.  I think I will throw a party.  2011 marks a new start in my life.  It might just be me and my kids alone on this journey called life, but we will be together no matter what.  Through the tears, the sadness, the laughter, the silliness and the heartfelt moments, we will be together.  We will seek the good and trust that God will walk with us and provide through the tough stuff.  I will attempt to face 2011 with cautious optimism and pray that we will find our way through an uncertain future with the hope that we will discover joy along the way.

2011 blessings to you all.

5 comments:

  1. Emotions from my own parent's divorce when I was a little younger than AnnaSophia, easily come to the surface reading your story. I realize now how hard it was for my mom but I also remember the ugliness of it all. I wish somehow the people who care about you and the kids could ease your pain, but I also know that this is a personal journey. But when it feels darkest, know that at any moment you can call or reach out and a loving hand will be there for you.
    As we know all to well, this continual medical trauma and uncertainty certainly does not bode well for relationships. But the one relationship that has blossomed is the one with our warrior children. I wonder all the time how certain situations effected my kids, as these moments brought me to my knees, pleading with God for answers....so many unanswered questions...why my kids...why me...but there will never be answers to these questions, so I have done what you are doing and I am reaching out to others who have had a similar experience hoping together we can make a difference...and I truly know we are...and so for today, at this moment, that has to be enough...because if I look back, there is a long trail of tears and despair and if I look too far ahead, the what-ifs make my head spin...so my goal is to stay in the moment, feel it, embrace it, learn from it and move on....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you remember me. I used to be the Medical Assistant in the Cardiac Pre/Post Unit at Childrens. Annasophia popped into my mind for no apparent reason the other day and in my experience that is the Holy Spirit telling me to pray. So I said a prayer and looked her up. Anyway all that was to say, I am praying for you.
    May God hold you and comfort you, protect you and your loved ones give you peace in the storm.

    Leah Daniels

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I remember you Leah! We've spent a lot of time in that Pre/Post Unit. Thank you for your kind words and prayers. Children's Hospital is like our second home, and we have been blessed to know each one of our TCH people. We will be visiting soon for Cardiac Clinic, and we'll pop in and visit. Again, thank you for the thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do very much miss that job and the wonderful families I had the pleasure of meeting there. God gave me to opportunity to stay home with my children for a while and I jumped on the opportunity.

    I am so sorry to hear you are going through a rough patch in your family. Life can be so cruel sometimes. It is a good thing we have a wonderful savior to hold onto us and give us the peace of knowing He will work it all out for the best.

    One of the things that I remember most about you is that you asked me for paper and a marker so that you could put Jeremiah 29:11 on Annasophia's crib before her procedure. Remember that that verse applies to you as much as it does to her. God is with you and He has a perfect plan for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, you are so brave and honest. How refreshing to hear someone admit that they had a DOG CRAP YEAR. Your transparency will bless so many others who are struggling. PLEASE remember that we live really close to Children's if you ever need anything. And I am praying my guts out for you. MUCH LOVE!

    ReplyDelete